Saturday 2 May 2009

Quiff it up


Anyone who knows me understands my love of the quiff... with massive curly hair it is the only way to keep it out of my face without scraping it back (just does not suit me) or using endless clips and curvy grips to hold back flyaways. So I was happy to see the "return of the quiff" in the current seasons beauty and hair trends.

The quiff, alternatively known as the bouffant or the beehive, comes from the french word "coiffe" and was very popular in the 50's although there is controversy over whether it the quiff is a 40's, 50's or 60's hairstyle. It is considered by many hair experts to be a classic hairstyle even though some celebrities, like Amy Winehouse, take it to the extreme. It is a very popular catwalk style, some very subtle quiffs to completely over the top styles for example in Yohji Yamamoto 50's inspired collection.

I was excited to find out that the bouffant was thought to be created for Marie Antoinette, to create an illusion of having very big hair. The bouffant became popular in western culture in the 1960s, when it was created with the help of back-combing and large amounts of hair spray.
Go on... quiff it up...

No comments:

Please e-mail me any comments or questions to: caroline@druitt.com